Things you’ll need:
- 285ml lukewarm milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 150g of your favorite pizza sauce
- 227g shredded BoMé Winter cheese
- 113g chopped or shredded salami
- 80g spreadable BoMé Spiced Shepherd cheese
- Place all of the dough ingredients into a bowl, and mix and knead the mixture — by hand, using a stand mixer, or in a bread machine — to make a smooth, soft dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and allow it to rise until doubled, 60 to 90 minutes.
- Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.
- Roll the dough into a 30 cm x 45 cm (12″ x 18″) rectangle.
- Spread evenly the tomato sauce, shredded BoMé Winter cheese and salami.
- Starting with a long end, roll the dough into a log. Cut the log into 12 to 18 pieces, depending on how large you want the buns to be.
- Space the rounds on two parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets. If you’ve cut 12 rounds, flatten them gently to about 1″ tall.
- Place ½ Teaspoon of BoMé Spiced Shepherd cheese in the middle of each round.
- Cover the pan(s), and allow the buns to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they’re nicely puffed. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake the buns for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven, and serve warm, with additional pizza sauce on the side if desired.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat for about 10 minutes, covered, in a 180°C (350°F) oven; or very briefly in a microwave.
Bake and serve warm
- Bake the buns for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Don’t over-bake; better they’re soft and tender than tough and dry.
- Remove the buns from the oven, and serve warm, with extra pizza sauce if desired.
- Make the rolls ahead, if you like; they store well for several days in the refrigerator. To serve, lay them on a baking sheet, tent with foil, and reheat in a 180°C (350°F) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or so, until warm.
Tips from Bibi
- Feel free to replace the salami with about 1 cup of your favorite ham and pineapple.
- Bake the buns just until they’re barely golden; over-baking will dry them out.
- Don’t be tempted to pile on extra ingredients before rolling the dough; too much filling makes messy buns.