Things you’ll need:
- 285ml lukewarm milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1/3 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 150g of your favorite pizza sauce
- 227g shredded BoMé Winter cheese
- 113g chopped or shredded salami
- 80g spreadable BoMé Spiced Shepherd cheese
- Place all of the dough ingredients into a bowl, and mix and knead the mixture — by hand, using a stand mixer, or in a bread machine — to make a smooth, soft dough.
- Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it, and allow it to rise until doubled, 60 to 90 minutes.
- Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface.
- Roll the dough into a 30 cm x 45 cm (12″ x 18″) rectangle.
- Spread evenly the tomato sauce, shredded BoMé Winter cheese and salami.
- Starting with a long end, roll the dough into a log. Cut the log into 12 to 18 pieces, depending on how large you want the buns to be.
- Space the rounds on two parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets. If you’ve cut 12 rounds, flatten them gently to about 1″ tall.
- Place ½ Teaspoon of BoMé Spiced Shepherd cheese in the middle of each round.
- Cover the pan(s), and allow the buns to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they’re nicely puffed. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bake the buns for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown.
- Remove the buns from the oven, and serve warm, with additional pizza sauce on the side if desired.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator. Reheat for about 10 minutes, covered, in a 180°C (350°F) oven; or very briefly in a microwave.
Bake and serve warm
- Bake the buns for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Don’t over-bake; better they’re soft and tender than tough and dry.
- Remove the buns from the oven, and serve warm, with extra pizza sauce if desired.
- Make the rolls ahead, if you like; they store well for several days in the refrigerator. To serve, lay them on a baking sheet, tent with foil, and reheat in a 180°C (350°F) oven for 10 to 15 minutes or so, until warm.
Tips from Bibi
- Feel free to replace the salami with about 1 cup of your favorite ham and pineapple.
- Bake the buns just until they’re barely golden; over-baking will dry them out.
- Don’t be tempted to pile on extra ingredients before rolling the dough; too much filling makes messy buns.
Let us know how it went!
We want to keep making this recipe better. Let us know how it goes! What worked for you? You can Email us or comment on facebook.